Updated: Jul 30, 2020
For the Graham Cracker Crust:
• 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
• 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 5 tablespoons melted butter
For the Cheesecake Filling: (Will make 2-7inch cheese cakes or 1-10 to 12inch cheese cake) Use a Spring Foam Pan
• 40 ounces cream cheese at room temperature (5-8 oz. packages)
• 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup sour cream at room temperature
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 4 large eggs at room temperature
• any desired cheesecake toppings (fresh fruit, chocolate, nuts, etc...)
1. Place oven racks in center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium sized bowl or food processor, stir graham cracker crumbs together with sugar and melted butter until well incorporated and mixture looks like damp sand. Using the bottom of a measuring cup, press crust into the bottom and half way up the sides of your springform pan. Bake 7 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
4. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese until smooth. (Do not over mix) Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and add in granulated sugar, sour cream and vanilla. Mix again. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix again.
5. Crack eggs into a liquid measuring cup and using a fork, beat until well scrambled. With the mixer on low, slowly pour in the eggs into the cream cheese mixture and stop stirring once eggs are mixed in. Make sure the entire mixture is smooth. If there are a few small lumps, try to fold in using the rubber spatula.
6. Once the batter is ready, tap bowl on the counter for 45 seconds to remove any air bubbles. Pour filling into the center of the graham cracker crust and gently smooth the top. (Split filling if making two 6 or 7 inch cheesecakes.) Place cheesecakes on baking sheet with lip or wrap bottom of springform pan(s) with foil to prevent leaking.)
7. Bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees. Reduce temperature to 250 degrees and continue cooking for 45 more minutes. Once this time has elapsed, turn oven off and keep cheesecake inside for another 30 minutes for some carryover cooking without opening the oven door. Crack oven door to let cheesecake cool slowly for one hour before removing. Remove cheesecake from oven - cheesecake should be slightly warm. Bring cheesecake to room temperature on the counter (3-4 hours) before covering and transferring to the fridge.
8. Refrigerate until chilled completely (6 hours to overnight). To serve, open springform pan and remove collar. Decorate as desired.
9. To serve dip a sharp knife into hot water, wipe off any excess water and slice.